I am Magda de Lange, a South African Contemporary Artist. I love painting flowers and portraits of people and pets.
I started creating art really when I was about Gr. 4. I was bored during holidays and drew a quick line sketch of William Shatner (T.J. Hooker). When I showed the sketch to my Mother, she immediately recognized him and started encouraging me to create more art. Since then I started making sketches and soon I even sold them to school friends. Read more about how I started creating art.
Born and living in South Africa, I am married with two children. I was a computer programmer before I studied to complete my Diploma in Multimedia design in 2010, after which I started painting full-time.
When I wish to relax, I love to read, play with my cat, and create digital art called fractal flames. These make lovely, affordable printed art.
About My Art
I like to categorize my art into
- Traditional Contemporary Art
(Animals, Flowers, Landscapes),
- Digital Flame Prints
(Colorful Abstract works available as Prints) and
- Commissioned Works of Art
(Portraits of People and Pets mostly,
but I have also done landscapes on request).
I love to paint the beautiful world created for us by God. My definition of pure joy is playing with colors, shapes, textures and contrasts. I find this is also very important to think of all these elements of an artwork when painting, even though sometimes rules are meant to be broken
My Contemporary art would suit the decor of most homes and my portraits especially would be great for the entrance, lounge and even bedrooms in a family home.
My Curriculum Vitae
Maiden Name: Van Niekerk
Ontdekkers High, Gr. 8 – Gr. 11 Florida High, Matric
Programming Career (1992-2000)
CUC, Entry Level COBOL Programming Examination, 1995
UNISA, Diploma in Datametrics, 1998
Artist Career (2005-)
University of Johannesburg, Multimedia Diploma, 2010
Publications featured in
- Antoniadou, Olga & Lemonidou, Eve,International Contemporary Artists, Vol VIII, ICA Publishing, p.70
- The South African Institute of Artists & Designers, The Collector’s Guide to Art and Artists in South Africa, 3rd edition, PAW Publications, p.79
- Private Collections, Auckland, New Zealand
- Private Collections, Alberton, South Africa
- Private Collections, Vereeniging, South Africa
- Private Collections, Rivonia, South Africa
- Private Collections, Germiston, South Africa